English to English
• She was eating a banana
• What did you eat for dinner last night?
||eat a meal; take a meal |
• We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls
• I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation
||take in food; used of animals only |
• This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat
• What do whales eat?
||worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way |
• What's eating you?
||use up (resources or materials) |
• this car consumes a lot of gas
• We exhausted our savings
• They run through 20 bottles of wine a week
||cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid |
• The acid corroded the metal
• The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink
||To chew and swallow as food; to devour; -- said especially of food not liquid; as, to eat bread. |
||To take food; to feed; especially, to take solid, in distinction from liquid, food; to board. |