English to English
• The audience got up and applauded
||refuse to back down; remain solid under criticism or attack |
||put into an upright position |
• Can you stand the bookshelf up?
||be standing; be upright |
• We had to stand for the entire performance!
||defend against attack or criticism |
• He stood up for his friend
• She stuck up for the teacher who was accused of harassing the student
||resist or withstand wear, criticism, etc. |
• Her shoes won't hold up
• This theory won't hold water
• The dog's fur bristled
• It was a sight to make one's hair uprise!