English to English
||make sense of; assign a meaning to |
• What message do you see in this letter?
• How do you interpret his behavior?
||give an interpretation or explanation to |
||give an interpretation or rendition of |
• The pianist rendered the Beethoven sonata beautifully
||create an image or likeness of |
• The painter represented his wife as a young girl
||restate (words) from one language into another language |
• I have to translate when my in-laws from Austria visit the U.S.
• Can you interpret the speech of the visiting dignitaries?
• She rendered the French poem into English
• He translates for the U.N.
||make sense of a language |
• She understands French
• Can you read Greek?
||To explain or tell the meaning of; to expound; to translate orally into intelligible or familiar language or terms; to decipher; to define; -- applied esp. to language, but also to dreams, signs, conduct, mysteries, etc.; as, to interpret the Hebrew language to an Englishman; to interpret an Indian speech. |
||To act as an interpreter. |